Friday, May 26, 2017

John Schofield publishes essay on St Paul's Deanery



Our own John Schofield has published an essay entitled "A Reconstruction of the Deanery of St Paul's Cathedral in the Time of John Donne, and Its Setting for His Collection of Paintings," in the London Journal, go here.

As Schofield describes it, "This paper proposes a reconstruction of the deanery of St Paul's Cathedral at the time of the death of John Donne (Dean 1621–1631). 

"The reconstruction stems from two documents: Donne's will of 1631, and a survey of the deanery when it was in parliamentary hands in 1649. 

"The will is remarkable because it details bequests of 21 paintings, all but three specified by their location in rooms throughout the deanery. 

"The original number of paintings was larger, as some were to remain. 

"By comparing the will with the survey, it is possible to allocate paintings to specific rooms and in effect walk round the house, at least on its ground floor, in 1631 or 1649."

Congratulations to John Schofield, to whom the Virtual St Paul's Cathedral Project is indebted in so many, many ways. 

And thanks to Mary Ann Lund, our new Advisory Committee member, who pointed out this publication to me. 

We can promise that Schofield's discoveries will be incorporated into the visual model we are developing for the Cathedral Project. 

8 comments:

  1. It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues.virtual website assistant

    ReplyDelete
  2. You give the awesome detail about the essay. I think the essay is the main subjects in whom you have to write it with the good way to impress the checker but now you can do my computer science homework to manage your task. You help me a lot to discuss some major issues that people did when they write the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essay Structure. Writing an academic essay means fashioning a coherent set of ideas into an argument. Because essays are essentially linear they offer one idea at a time. they must present their ideas in the order that makes most sense to a reader and reflective assignment. This is actually great experience you have share to writing essay and published good book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In any examination you can think worse very easily. The worse thinking is the reason of negative thinking. We try to raise a positive thinking and information in your writing. We are ap chemistry help for all time for your help in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As technology make the study easy, accessible, help in doing difficult tasks, improve the teaching skills and style, help to make the students to study independently, help to better their learning and homepage writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm  here to share my testimony of what a good trusted loan company did for me. My name is Nikita Tanya, from Russian and I’m a lovely mother of 3 kids I lost my funds on trying to get a loan it was so hard for me and my children, I went online to seek for a loan assistance  all hope was lost until one faithful day when I met this friend of mine who recently secured a loan from a very honest man Mr, Benjamin. She introduced me to this honest loan officer Mr, Benjamin  who helped me get a loan in within 5 working days, I will forever be grateful to Mr Benjamin, for helping me get back on feet again. You can contact Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@outlook.com  they do not know I’m doing this for them, but i just have to do it because a lot of people are out there who are in need of a loan assistance  please come to this honest man  and  you can be save as well .WhatsApp:(+1 989-394-3740)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Businesses today are looking for someone who can provide the assistance they need to help keep their business running smoothly. data entry

    ReplyDelete